- When enrolling the University or setting up the initial consultation, it is understood that the student has read and accepted all of the conditions stated below (ignorance of the rules is no excuse).
- It will be the owner’s responsibility to pick up after their dogs.
- With the purpose of maintaining an enjoyable environment with optimal learning opportunities, females in heat or near it (before or after) will NOT be allowed in ANY area of the campus. Owners must inform the University through email (NOT in person) to reschedule. Keep in mind that they also feel discomfort and it will even be uncomfortable for themselves.
- Puppies yourger than 3 months may only participate in consultations, not in classes for their own safety. We also discourage them wandering in common areas or in contact with other people and dogs on or off campus. Puppies this young haven’t developed a steady immune system yet, so a healthy dog may be a source for disease.
- For health reasons, sick or wounded students won’t be allowed in class. Owners must inform the University through email (NOT in person) to reschedule.
- The campus is an open space where many people and dogs go to have a great time. Please, respect everyone’s right, needs and space.
- Please, DO NOT feed other dogs regardless of how many tricks they do since you will be harming them. They may have deadly allergies or digestive issues. If you want to reward them, do so with love and praise which they love too. Also, feel free to scold or “tell on them” with the staff if they are begging or invading space. You may feel like protecting them so that they don’t get reprimanded, but this will only help people with bad intentions to be able to harm them later on.
- A private initial consultation with the dog and family must be held before starting any course with the purpose of getting to know you and determine the best course according to your needs.
- Each course has its own requirements. Please, read the section Requirements of the program you’re interested in.
- Obedience classes are individual and techniques are customized, for which dogs and human family members with special needs can learn effectively while having fun.
- Classes and consultations will be held on campus or in-home depending on the course/program and the preferences of the client according to our schedule.
- All commands are taught using positive reinforcement. The enjoyment of all activities will always be the main focus.
- Besides verbal cues, students will learn visual cues to ensure optimal communication when the dog reaches their elderly years and may not hear very well.
- Rewards/treats to be used must be provided by the owner before starting each class. We recommend ham, hot dogs, fruits and others, chopped in tiny pieces that will never be offered out of class. Classes will NOT be held if the owner brings food unfit for canine consumption such as bread, cookies or any other product made for human consumption (if this happened, it will count as an absence regardless of being phisically present). Classes will also NOT be held if there’s no food treats at all (unless the staff says so).
- Words to be used for each command will be adapted to the likes of the family. These may be in French (au pied, assis, coucher, pas bouger, ici), German (fuss, sitz, platz, bleib, hier), English (heel, sit, down, stay, come) or Japanese (ikou, suwaru, fuse, matte, koi). If possible, we avoid commands in the same language spoken at home.
- The human family will participate in classes where professors will explain all the techniques and considerations, clear up doubts and hand over homework to practice during the rest of the week. This homework will be the family’s responsibility and in case of not doing it, the final exam may be failed, causing an additional fee for a make up exam.
- In-home classes are only available from Monday to Friday for certain areas and costs may vary. Please, email your address to us for more information.
- Owners must remain on campus at all times. No students without supervision will be allowed except during class with the professors, when owners must still remain on campus.
- No canine or human student may interrupt classes or consultations with other families. If an owner has something to say, they may only do so to a completely free staff member.
- We DO NOT offer boarding courses. This method is part of traditional training, in which the main focus is to teach the dog commands by imposition with the “benefit” of learning everything in “record time” and only sharing a couple classes at the end with the owners. This shows an obsolete approach in which the dog is the cause of all problems, when in reality are the humans (Maybe the owners should be boarded?). It’s also EXTREMELY common for these trainers to use shock collars, choke chains and other tools completely unnecesary if they took the time to teach positively (although most of them may not openly admit to it or even advertise themselves as positive trainers). The evidence of this is the incredible amount of dogs that have been victims of this method and end up being fearful, insecure, aggressive out of fear or even suffer from neck injuries, not to mention that the few commands they manage to learn are only executed at home with no distractions at all. Education, just like a human relationship, must be experienced as a group with tons of team work among the family members. This is the only way the dog-human bond can be strenghtened, humans learn to communicate with the dog while getting to know their “pawsonality” and the dog learns to communicate with their humans, achieving a harmonious and positive relationship.
- There will only be allowed up to four (4) absences per course (NO EXCEPTION) and classes will be postponed at no additional cost.
- From the fifth absence, regardless of the reasons, the student will have to pay the total cost of each missed class.
- In case the student can only attend one day of a specific week, the owner must inform the staff through email and will be able to select between a double class (won’t count as absence) or two separate classes a week apart (will count as one absence).
- In case the consultation was paid and the student did not attend, the payment will not be refunded. If the absence is notified at least two days prior, the consultation will be postponed at no additional cost. If it is notified less than two days prior or not notified at all, the student will need to pay the full amount again to reschedule. Being late will be considered as an absence if the current schedule does not allow changes.
- If the student was absent two (2) times in a row without contacting the University, we may use the spot for another student and the resuming will be subject to availability.
- In case of being more than 10 min. late for class, it will depend on the current schedule if the class can be held later or not. If not possible, it will be considered an absence.
- If classes are cancelled on the same day due to weather or other powerful reasons, students will be informed through email and/or text. If such notification is not sent, classes will be held annd in case of not going, it will be considered an absence.
- Absence regulations do not apply when the dog has health problems of females are in heat. In any case, it must be notified at least three (3) hours before class. If notified in less than three hours or not notified, it will count as an absence.
- Class payments may be done upfront or in two parts: 50% before class 1 and 50% before half the course. Up-to-date payments are mandatory to attend class. Consultations must be paid upfront before starting.
- Payments may be done with cash, deposit or Paypal.
- We DO NOT ACCEPT CHECKS handed to us. Clients may deposit them in our account at risk of any problem that may arise, releasing the University of ANY responsibility like, for example, going to the bank to solve it. Because of this, we highly encourage cash payments.
- Payments will NOT be refunded even if the classes didn’t start, were not finished or the consultation wasn’t held because of the student. This includes tests and any type of prearranged activity.
- No tests will be held if payments are not up to date (including absences).
- Original certificate of Rabies, Distemper/Parvo and Bordetella vaccinations. Only puppies younger than 4 months will be accepted without rabies vaccination. This documentation MUST be brought to the initial consultation, NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Students must be healthy in order to enroll.
- School supplies (collar, leash, etc.) will be suggested during the consultation according to your needs. These supplies must be brought to every class.
- If attending the campus with children, they must be PERMANENTLY supervised by their family.
- The campus is a work space where tons of dogs attend to rehabilitate from different phobias, for which it is a peaceful, fun and positive place. Therefore, there must be no yelling, running or interacting with dogs without consulting first with the owners and professors. Otherwise, you will be interfering with their rehabilitation delaying progress, for which – due to respect towards other students – the University may reserve the right to deny/revoke admission with no refund or compensation of any kind.
- Classes CAN NOT be interrupted. Just like you, other students would not like to have time taken off their class.
- If you took your child to a park and another kid disrespects them with their parents alllowing it, you would be upset. Please, make sure your kids respect our dogs by NOT jumping on them, pulling their tail, yelling at them, among others. Staff dogs are trained to tolerate many things, which doesn’t mean they enjoy them.
- If a minor attends class, they must be accompanied by an adult from their family at ALL TIMES (NO EXCEPTION).
- The University and its members will NOT be responsible in any way for any accident involving a minor or adult during, before or after class/consultation.
Regulations may change without prior notice.
Comments are closed.
“Hey pups! I’m Polo and I’ll be one of your pawfessors in WA. Are you ready to show your hooman… instagram.com/p/BgpVuqQnGsC/
Meet our genius walkers of the day! Darby, Rooney & Bear can definitely put a smile on anyone’s… instagram.com/p/BgmZKFrHg5k/
It’s impossible to describe how proud we feel about watching our students grow to become model… instagram.com/p/BghdCgjnuPg/